Monday 23 April 2012

good morning blueberry pancakes

Nothing says "Good Morning" like a batch of blueberry pancakes :)
I like to rustle up a plate of these on those mornings when only something sweet will do.  Pancakes used to be a once a year deal in my household growing up when my Mom would cook them on Shrove Tuesday, but I've been waving the flag for American-style pancake breakfasts ever since we visited Austin, Texas 5 years ago.

Because of the high sugar content in pancakes these really are a once a month treat as usually I prefer to kick start my day with whole-foods. However, i can feel ok about the blueberries in these pancakes and the more you stuff them with blueberries the better the nutritional value of this delcious breakfast treat.
I could sing about the health benefits of blueberries all day long, they are classed as one of the number one superfoods alongside spinach and salmon. You gotta love 'em!
Here is my current recipe I am using for blueberry pancakes, however I am always tweaking it. Also, you're of course not limited to just adding blueberries,  the beauty of pancakes is you can add any filling you like. As you can see from my photo I was feeling a little fancy that morning and added raspberries too. I also find adding shredded coconut and mashed banana to the pancake batter ridiculously yummy.

Ingredients

  • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons white sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/2 tablespoon butter, melted
  • 1/2 cup blueberries (or any chosen filling) 

  1. In a large bowl, sift together flour, salt, baking powder and sugar. In a small bowl, beat together egg and milk. Stir milk and egg into flour mixture. Mix in the butter and fold in the blueberries. Set aside for 1 hour.
  2. Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake. Brown on both sides and serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment